Work of Fiction

This blog contains some posts from a fictional character in a trilogy I am writing. She is not real and she is not based off a real person. Thank you.

Translate

Friday, September 21, 2012

eclectic

eclectic /i╦łklektik/
adjective
1. selecting or choosing from various sources.
2. made up of what is selected from different sources.
3. not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.
4. noting or pertaining to works of architecture, decoration, landscaping, etc., produced by a certain person or during a certain period, that derive from a wide range of historic styles, the style in each instance often being chosen for its fancied appropriateness to local tradition, local geography, the purpose to be served, or the cultural background of the client.
Some people take being referred to as eclectic as an insult but it is something I have striven for all my life. I have always wanted to be different, to stand out. I do not want to be another face blending into the crowd, cattle following the herd.

I dress in what feels comfortable, I choose my clothes by what is on top of the pile. I don't like dresses, heels or makeup. Never have, it's just not who I am.

Today I am wearing a pair of light grey terry capri's with over the knee grey, red and white striped socks and a grey shirt with Tinker Bell on it. I'm warm, I'm comfortable and I am happy.

Do I care what people think of the outfit? Not really. Well except for the older gentleman who made my day this morning.

I was out with the kids waiting for the bus and saw an older guy looking at the roof of the house across the street. He is dressed in blue jeans and a navy polo shirt, hair trimmed short and neat. Yesterday morning while waiting for the bus we saw a squirrel making a nest in that particular roof, so I approached him to let him know.

So, here I am in my grey outfit, with my medium blue fleece hoodie over it and a pair of slip-ons on my feet. Dark raspberry red hair, brushed but a little wild, with a big friendly smile. Wasn't sure how he'd react but he was quite friendly and happy to chat.

We talked a little then he said "Please don't take this wrong, but I love your eclectic style. It always impresses me when someone is willing to be who they really are."

So, I finally reached my personal goal and it felt really good.

My point is, be who you are. Love who you are, and never be afraid of what others will think. You are beautiful, never forget that.